Last updated on December 10, 2021
Every instructor addresses late student submissions differently. You can use Canvas’ Gradebook to set your preferred late policy that applies to every student and every assignment in your course. You can also set Gradebook to assign a zero grade to assignments that are not submitted.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click on Grades from the Course Navigation Menu on the left.
- Click on Settings (gear icon) in the top right of the Gradebook window.
- Check that the Late Policies tab at the top of the window is selected.
- Choose the Options you prefer for your late or missing assignment policy. Possible options include:
- Automatically Apply Grade for Missing Submissions. If you select this option, you can choose to have missing submissions count for a specific point value. For example, if you want all missing submissions to be recorded as a zero grade, this is where you would enter that.
- Automatically Apply Deduction to Late Submissions. If you select this option, you can tell Canvas to apply a percentage deduction to late assignment submissions. You can choose how often a percentage should be deducted (for example, 10% for each day the submission is late) as well as what the lowest possible grade percent should be for a late assignment.
- Click the Update button at the bottom right of the window.