Last updated on October 19, 2021
When you’re grading, it can be helpful to send a quick message to a specific group of students. For example, you may want to send a reminder to all students who have not yet submitted an assignment, or maybe you want to send a message to students who received a certain grade or lower to offer a make-up opportunity. You can use the Canvas Gradebook to send a Canvas message to certain groups of students for a given assignment.
Please Note: Canvas will not send an email to their MSU Denver email address but rather a message in their Canvas inbox. If a student has adjusted their settings in Canvas to receive email notifications, they may also receive an email. Not all students will have this enabled.
Video to Come
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click on Grades from the Course Navigation Menu on the left.
- Select the Assignment you wish to message students about.
- Click on the More Options Menu (three vertical dots) next to the assignment title in the column heading.
- Select Message Students Who.
- Choose which Group of Students you wish to send a Canvas message to.
- Note: Options include Haven’t Submitted Yet, Haven’t Been Graded, Scored Less Than, and Scored More Than.
- Type a Score if you selected Scored Less Than or Scored More Than.
- Click the X next to the name of any students you wish to exclude from the Canvas message.
- Type a Subject Line for the message.
- Type a Message for the body of the message.
- Click Send Message.