Last updated on October 19, 2021
Wondering why when you delete a page from a module it doesn’t delete from your Canvas course? When you create a page in a Canvas Module, the page is not stored in your Module but rather in a folder called Pages that you can access from the course navigation menu on the left. What you see in Modules is actually a link to this page. What this means, from a practical standpoint, is that if you remove pages from Modules, you are not actually deleting that page permanently. Instead, that page will always be available in the folder Pages.
At some point, you may end up with duplicate or unnecessary pages saved in your course. By default, students do not have access to your Pages folder, so they will not see the duplicate or unnecessary pages unless you link to them from Modules. Duplicate or unnecessary pages may cause confusion when naming new pages or trying to identify which page you want to change. This tutorial provides instructions on how to delete those extra or duplicate pages.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
Confirm Which Page is Not Needed
- Click on Modules from the Course Navigation Menu on the left.
- Go to the Module with the duplicate page.
- Click on the Page.
- Note the Name of the page, which is located at the top of your Canvas window.
- Note: The Page name follows Course Name -> Pages -> Name of Page in Use
- You may wish to change the page name by clicking Edit and changing the Name in the text input box at the top of the page. For example, you may want to change the name of the page to “Page Name (Keep)” until you finish deleting pages. You can always change the name back after you’ve deleted the duplicates.
Delete Duplicate or Unnecessary Pages
- Click Pages from the Course Navigation Menu on the left.
- Locate the Duplicate Pages.
- Check the Box(es) next to the page(s) you wish to delete.
- Click the Delete Icon (resembles a trash can) at the top right of the page.
- Confirm that the Popup Window shows the pages you wish to delete.
- Click Delete.