Last updated on October 19, 2021
Instructors can use the SpeedGrader feature to easily grade individual discussion submissions within Canvas. These grades automatically populate the gradebook. Using SpeedGrader for discussion posts can save you time, keep you organized, and help you provide useful feedback to your students.
Note: Make sure that you checked the Graded setting when creating your discussion. See the “Create a Discussion in Canvas” tutorial for more information.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click Grades on the course navigation menu to the left.
- Hover your cursor over the Name of the discussion you want to grade.
- Click the More Options Menu (three vertical dots) that appears next to the name.
- Select SpeedGrader.
- View the Student’s Submission. The student’s name is listed in the top right corner of the page.
- Enter the student’s grade in the Assessment Grade Box to the right.
- Type comments in the Assessment Comments Box if desired.
- Note: You can also attach files and media by clicking the icons below the comment box.
- Click Submit.
- Click the Arrow in the upper-right corner to view the next student’s submission.
- Click the Gradebook icon in the upper-left to return to the Gradebook when you are finished.