Last updated on October 28, 2022
Working with a student who has an incomplete grade in a Canvas course creates some complications. By default, Canvas will make the course inaccessible to students at the scheduled end of the semester. If you have a student with an incomplete, you can set the course to allow students to access it even after the end date.
Unfortunately, you cannot allow access to just that one student. The entire class will have access to the course until the extended course availability ends. Reactivating the course will also put the course back in all students’ list of available courses.
Continue reading to learn how to give individual students access to assignments and quizzes.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
Extend the Course Availability Date
- Click on Settings on the left hand navigation menu, should be the last option.
- Make sure you are in the “Course Details” tab and find the End date for the course.
- Click on the Calendar icon in the text box, and navigate to the date you would like the course to extend till.
- Click Update Course Details on the bottom right hand corner.
Give Individual Student Access to Assignments and Quizzes
- Select Assignments from the course navigation menu on the left.
- Find the Specific Assignment you would like to send to your student.
- Click on the More Options Menu (three dots) to the right of the specific assignment.
- Click Edit.
- Click More Options at the bottom.
- Scroll to Assign.
- Verify that the Available Until date has passed.
- Click + Add.
- Keep first Assign To box as is.
- Type Student’s Name under Assign To.
- Enter new Available From date.