Last updated on July 5, 2022
Set Up a ProctorU Exam in Canvas
This part of the Spotlight will cover how to set up a ProctorU exam in Canvas, including the browser you will need, the extension for the browser, how to enable ProctorU in Canvas, and how to register the exam.
This is Part 2 of this Canvas Spotlight. To view other parts of this spotlight, click one of the links below:
Part 1: What is ProctorU?
Install Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
To use ProctorU you must use either the Chrome or Firefox internet browser. Browsers like Safari and Edge are currently incompatible with ProctorU.
- Download either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox from their download pages.
- Alternatively, you can download either of the browsers from the Software Center (Windows) or Self Service (Mac) applications installed on all MSU Denver computers.
- Install the Chrome Browser Extension or the Firefox Browser Extension.
Activate ProctorU in Your Canvas Course
If you see ProctorU in the left-hand course navigation menu, you have already done this and can skip this section.
- Open the Canvas Course you want to use ProctorU in.
- Click Settings in the left-hand course navigation menu.
- Click Navigation in the tabs across the top of the screen.
- Scroll down to the second list of Inactive Items.
- Find ProctorU.
- Click the More Options (3 Dots) menu to the right of ProctorU.
- Click Enable.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Click Save in the bottom left-hand corner.
- You should now see ProctorU in the left-hand course navigation menu.
Create a ProctorU Exam in Canvas
You can use ProctorU with any Classic-style Quiz in your course. ProctorU will not work with New Quizzes. If you already have a Classic Quiz in your course that you want to use, skip the first step below.
- Create a Classic Quiz in Canvas. You can use our Create and Edit Classic Quizzes tutorial for help with this.
- Publish the Classic Quiz in the Quizzes page of Canvas.
- You can find the Quizzes page by clicking on Quizzes in the left-hand course navigation menu.
- We recommend not adding ProctorU Quizzes to modules.
- Click ProctorU in the left-hand course navigation menu.
- If you haven’t made a ProctorU account yet, you’ll be prompted to create one. Follow the directions ProctorU provides and resume this tutorial when you can log into ProctorU.
- Click Add New in the top right-hand corner.
- Click Exam.
- Enter all of your chosen Settings for the exam.
- The recommendations for each setting are listed below. If a setting isn’t listed here, we recommend leaving it blank or the default selection.
- Course Name – You cannot enter anything into this field. It appears blank, but it will pull the name of the course directly from Canvas.
- Name – As the exam will have the course name pulled from Canvas, it is not necessary to add the course name or number here (i.e. MTH 3000 – Algebra). You can simply enter the name of the Canvas Quiz (i.e. Final Exam) or any other name you wish.
- Department – Here you will choose from Record+, Review+, or Live+. Please see the spotlight for a breakdown of these services and which you should choose.
- Incident Users – Click Add User and select your name to add yourself to be informed of any incidents during the exam.
- Instructors – Click Add Instructor and select your name to add yourself as the instructor of this course.
- Term – Select Current Term from this list.
- Duration – Enter how many minutes students will have to complete the exam.
- Exam URL – To get the Exam URL, follow these directions in another tab or window:
- Open the Canvas Course.
- Click Quizzes in the left-hand navigation menu.
- Click the Classic Quiz you are using ProctorU for.
- Copy all of the URL from the Address bar at the top of your screen. (i.e. https://msudenver.instructure.com/courses/42592/quizzes/280345)
- Paste the URL in the Exam URL box of ProctorU.
- Whitelisted URLs – Enter the URLs of any webpages you want students to have access to during the exam process.
- Exam Password and Exam Password Confirmation – If you set up a password for the exam in Canvas, enter it in these boxes.
- Template and Terms of Service – Skip these.
- Permitted Resources – It is very important to select exactly what resources you want students to use in this section. This gives the student and proctor (if using Review+ or Live+) instructions on what resources are acceptable.
- Permitted Browsers – Select Chrome and Firefox. Safari and Internet Explorer are not supported at this time.
- Expected Number of Test Takers – Enter the number of students currently enrolled in your class.
- Additional Exam Notes – Enter any additional information the proctor may need.
- Notify on Schedule Emails – Enter your email address if you want to receive emails whenever a student registers for the exam.
- Contact Info for Exam Issues – You must enter your name, email, and phone number in these fields. ProctorU will attempt to contact you if they need you to help resolve an issue. You can also provide times at which you are available for contact.
- Windows – Enter the dates and times that students are allowed to take this exam.
- Click Submit for Review when you have finished entering your settings for the exam.