Last updated on December 14, 2021
There may be situations where you’d like to give extra credit opportunities to your students. In Canvas, there are a number of ways to assign extra points. The steps below outline how to create Assignments that are specifically intended to be extra credit. Other methods are listed below as well.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click Modules on the Course Navigation Menu to the left.
- Scroll to the Module where you want the Assignment.
- Click the + Button to the right of the module title.
- Select Assignment from the drop-down menu (if it is not already selected).
- Click [New Assignment].
- Type a Name.
- Click Add Item.
- Click the Assignment you just created.
- Click Edit.
- Set/Leave Possible Points at zero (0).
- Choose a Submission Type.
- Set any Other Settings, as necessary.
- Click Save & Publish.
After a student submits the assignment, you will need to assign a grade either by entering it in the Gradebook column or by using the SpeedGrader. You can also give extra credit to existing assignments by manually entering extra points in the grade column or SpeedGrader. Another easy way to assign extra credit is by adding an extra credit criterion to a rubric. Ensure that the rubric has that many more points than the total points identified in the Points Possible on the assignment (visit the tutorials, “Create A Rubric” and “Attach a Rubric to an Assignment” to learn more).