Last updated on October 19, 2021
Rubrics produce a set of criteria to evaluate student performance. When they are used in Canvas, they provide students with direction and clarity. When integrated with SpeedGrader, rubrics enable you to provide quick and easy feedback and assessments to your students.
Note: These instructions assume that a rubric has already been created and assigned to the assignment. Please refer to the “Create a Rubric in Canvas” and “Attach a Rubric to an Assignment” tutorials for information on how to set those up.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click Grades on the course menu to the left.
- Hover your cursor over the Name of the assignment you’d like to grade.
- Click the More Options Menu (three vertical dots) to the right of the assignment name.
- Click SpeedGrader.
- The assignment will appear on the left and the grading and feedback panel on the right.
- Click and drag the Vertical Bar of the Grading and Feedback Panel to adjust the width of the panel.
- Read the Student’s Work.
- Click on the View Rubric button to view the rubric.
- Click on the Appropriate Rating Box for a criterion to evaluate that student.
- Note: You can provide criterion-specific feedback by clicking on the Comment Icon within the pts box.
- Repeat Step 8 for every criterion.
- Note: Total points will auto-calculate. You can override this by typing a different value in the pts box under the criterion.
- Click the Save Button under the rubric.
- Note: The total points will auto-populate the Assessment box and you will see the summary of their ratings.
- Type any Desired Feedback in the Assignment Comments Box.
- Click the Submit Button.