Last updated on October 19, 2021
In your course, you may prefer to use a personalized grading scheme. You can assign different grading schemes to your assignments and fine-tune those schemes to fit the needs of your course. These schemes can be as complex or simple as you like to reflect how you are evaluating your students’ work.
Please note that a Grading Scheme is different from a Rubric. The latter conveys detailed information of the criteria of the assignment, while the former simply governs how grades are displayed to the student.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click on Assignments in the left-hand navigation menu.
- Click on the Assignment you’d like to change the grading scheme for.
- Click on Edit in the top right corner.
- Scroll to Display Grade As.
- Click on the drop-down menu for Display Grade As.
- Select Letter Grade.
- Click View Grading Scheme beneath the drop-down menu.
- Click Select Another Scheme if you’ve already created an alternative scheme, otherwise, click the Pencil Icon in the top right-hand corner of the pop-up menu.
- Enter a Name for the Grading Scheme.
- Enter new Names for the grades you would like to appear.
- Enter new Ranges for those new grades.
- Remove Grade Categories by clicking the X button to the right of each grade.
- Create New Grade Categories by hovering over an existing grade and clicking Insert Here above it.
- Scroll to the Bottom of the pop-up menu.
- Click Save.
- Click Done.
- Click Save at the bottom right of the Assignment window.