Last updated on December 14, 2021
Instructors can use the optional Availability Date settings to limit the timeframe in which students can view and submit an assignment. This is useful because you can create assignments in advance and prevent students from accessing them until you wish to unlock them. You can also prevent late submissions by setting the Due Date as the end of the availability window. (Visit the “Create an Assignment with a Due Date” tutorial for more information about setting due dates.)
Note: If you only need to add or adjust a due date or availability date on an existing assignment, skip to Step 12.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click Modules on the course navigation menu to the left.
- Scroll to the Module you’d like to add an assignment to.
- Click the + Button next to the name of the Module.
- Select Assignment from the drop-down menu.
- Click [New Assignment].
- Type a Title for your assignment in the Assignment Name box.
- Click Add Item.
- Click the Name of the assignment you created in the module.
- Click Edit.
- Type Instructions and Additional Information in the second, larger box.
- Note: You can also add links, images, videos, and other resources in this section. To learn more, view the “Use the Rich Content Editor” tutorial.
- Adjust the Settings, as desired.
- Scroll down to the Assign setting.
- Choose an Available From date and time. After this date, students will be able to access and submit the assignment.
- Note: If no time is chosen, the time will default to 12:00 am.
- Choose an Until date and time. After this date, submissions will not be accepted.
- Note: If no time is chosen, the time will default to 11:59 pm.
- Note: To prohibit late assignment submissions, make the Until date the same as the Due Date.
- Click Save.