Last updated on December 14, 2021
Canvas allows you to set a due date for assignments that will automatically populate the Canvas calendar, the course summary (found on the Syllabus), and the to-do list in the student sidebar. This helps students stay organized and keep track of their assignments. You can choose to not allow submissions after the due date or reduce points earned if submitted after this date. For more information about preventing late submissions, visit the “Create an Assignment with Limited Availability” tutorial.
Note: If you only need to add or adjust a due date on an existing assignment, skip to Step 9.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click Modules on the course navigation menu to the left.
- Scroll to the Module you’d like to add an assignment to.
- Click the + Button next to the name of the Module.
- Select Assignment from the drop-down menu.
- Click [New Assignment].
- Type a Title for your assignment in the Assignment Name box.
- Click Add Item.
- Click the Name of the assignment you created.
- Click Edit.
- Type Instructions and Additional Information in the second, larger input box.
- Note: You can also add links, images, videos, and other resources in this section. To learn more, refer to the “Use the Rich Content Editor” tutorial.
- Scroll down to the bottom box labeled Assign.
- Locate the input box labeled Due.
- Click the Calendar Icon next to this input box.
- Select your desired Due Date.
- Note: You can also input the due date manually in the input box.
- Click Save in the lower right.