Last updated on October 4, 2022
The Blueprint sample module was designed to provide a foundation or organizational structure to customize and use in your course, if you wish. You can edit the Blueprint sample module provided in your new course shell with your own course content to make navigation easy for your students. The sample module includes templates for the following content:
- Module # Overview (rename with actual module number) – This page provides you with a template for your module name, objectives, tasks, and next steps. The page is editable and designed to make it easy for you to modify any of the language within [brackets].
- Content Pages 1, 2, and 3 (rename with title of lecture, reading, video, etc.) – These pages provide templates for basic content. The page is designed with organizational prompts that you could keep in mind as you add your own content to the page. This content page is completely editable and flexible and can be used to share many types of information, from text to videos and from math formulas to links to additional resources.
- Video: [Title] – This is a page template designed to provide a video for students to watch. The template includes editable text to help you provide context for the video and clarify the video’s relevance. All of the text on this video page is editable.
- Module # Review (rename with actual module number) – You may edit this template to provide a review of the core lessons provided in the module as well as the module objectives the lessons met.
Note: For a detailed tutorial on how to edit pages, please refer to the “Edit an Existing Page in Canvas” tutorial.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click Modules from the course navigation menu on the left.
- Scroll Down to the module called Sample Module (Copy Me).
To Make Copies of the Sample Module
- Click on the More Options Menu (three vertical dots) to the right of the module heading (grey bar).
- Select Duplicate.
- Repeat Steps 1-2 until you have the number of modules needed for your course.
To Rename New Modules
- Click on the More Options Menu (three vertical dots) to the right of each module heading (grey bar).
- Select Edit.
- Change the text that currently says Sample Module (Copy Me) to the name and number of your course module.
- Click Update Module.
- Repeat Steps 1-4 for each module of your course.
To Edit the Sample Module
- Click on the name of the Sample Module Content Page that you wish to edit.
- Click Edit on the top right.
- Select Text you wish to change.
- Note: For more details on how to edit pages, please refer to the “Edit an Existing Page in Canvas” tutorial.
- Type or Paste New Text to replace the existing text.
- Note: Pasting text can occasionally cause formatting problems. If you copy and paste the text into the sample module, select the Pasted Text and click on the Clear Formatting button (The icon is an italicized T with a line under it and a rectangle eraser to the right). The clear formatting button is in the formatting menu between the Table icon and the Increase Indent icon.
- Click Save or Save and Publish.