Last updated on October 19, 2021
MS Teams channels are a great way to organize group work or projects for your students. Channels are a place to synchronous meetings, have asynchronous conversations, and share files easily. If your course uses group projects, having a team channel for each project group can create a space for groups to have meetings and sharing information via MS Teams. As the owner of the channel you can also share information or files, schedule meetings with specific groups, and monitor group progress.
- Open the Microsoft Teams App (if needed, see our tutorial on how to download the Teams Mobile app).
- Navigate to the Menu Bar on the bottom of your screen.
- Select Teams.
- Select More Options Menu (three dots) to the right of the team you would like to add a channel to.
- Select Manage Channels.
- Select the + Icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen to add a channel.
- Type the Channel Name in the channel name text area.
- Type a description of the channel in the Description (optional) text area.
- Select Done in the top right-hand corner of your screen when finished.
- Your channel has now been added. To exit the channel, select the Back Arrow at the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- Repeat Steps 4-9 to add additional channels to the team.