Last updated on October 11, 2023
During an MS Teams meeting, you may need to send a direct chat message to an individual or small group without addressing the entire class or meeting. The following tutorial explains how to do this using your phone or tablet.
- Open the Microsoft Teams App.
- Select Chat from the menu at the bottom of your screen.
- Note: To send a message to all members on a team, instead select Teams from the menu at the bottom of your screen, navigate to the specific Team, then click the purple New Chat Icon to compose and send your message.
- Select the purple New Chat Icon in the lower-right corner of the screen.
- Type a Name or Email Address in the To: field. Teams has all student email addresses in its database.
- Select the Recipient’s Name when it appears in the drop-down list.
- Repeat Steps 4-5 until all recipients have been added.
- Navigate to the Type a Message text box further down the screen.
- Type your Message in the text box.
- Use the Icons located on either side of the text box to add features such as images, gifs, files, text emphasis, and more to your chat.
- Select the Purple Arrow to the right of the message to send it.
- Select the Back Arrow in the upper-left corner of the screen to exit the chat.
- Return to the Chat by navigating to the chat by selecting the message from the main Chat page.