Last updated on December 10, 2021
Canvas Assignments allow you to provide assignment instructions and materials to your students. Also, students can upload digital submissions directly to the Assignment. Instructors are then able to grade the assignment submissions from within Canvas. There are numerous possible assignments you could create. Consider asking students to annotate a reading, complete a virtual lab, record a video response, create a media piece or instructional material, write a paper, design a portfolio artifact, and more!
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click Modules on the course navigation menu to the left.
- Scroll to the Module you’d like to add an assignment to.
- Click the + Button next to the name of the Module.
- Select Assignment from the drop-down menu.
- Click [Create Assignment].
- Type a Title for your assignment in the Assignment Name box.
- Click Add Item.
- Click the Name of the assignment you created in the module.
- Click Edit.
- Type Instructions and Additional Information in the second, larger box.
- Adjust the Settings as desired. The settings include:
- Points: Set the total number of points the assignment is worth.
- Assignment Group: Select an assignment group to put the assignment in (Visit the “Organize Assignments Using Assignment Groups” tutorial for more information.).
- Display Grade As: Choose how to display the grade to students: points, a percentage, or another metric.
- Submission Type: Choose what types of assignment submission will be accepted.
- Submission Attempts: Choose the number of assignment submissions students are allowed to make: unlimited, or limited to a certain number.
- Plagiarism Review: You can opt to use Unicheck to assess submissions and provide reports on suspected plagiarism.
- Group Assignment: Decide whether it is a group or individual assignment (Refer to the “Create a Group Assignment” tutorial for more information).
- Peer Review: Choose whether students will peer review each other’s work (Refer to the “Assign Peer Reviews for Assignments” tutorial for more information).
- Assign: Set due dates and availability dates (Visit the “Create a Group Assignment,” “Create an Assignment with a Due Date,” and “Create an Assignment with Limited Availability” tutorials for more information).
- Click Save.