Last updated on March 25, 2022
Canvas provides many opportunities for student interaction and feedback. Among these is a discussion tool that allows students to interact with each other in a forum using the Rich Content Editor. You may then provide feedback or grades to each discussion post.
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click Modules on the course navigation menu to the left.
- Scroll to the Module you’d like to add a discussion to.
- Click the + Button next to the name of the Module.
- Select Discussion from the drop-down menu.
- Click [Create Topic].
- Type a Title for your discussion in the Topic Name box.
- Click Add Item.
- Click the Name of the discussion you created in the module.
- Click Edit.
- Input Details, Prompts, and Media using the Rich Content Editor (the larger of the blank input boxes).
- For more detail on using the Rich Content Editor, visit our tutorial, “Use the Rich Content Editor to Modify Text, Insert Links, Attach Files, and Connect Apps.”
- Click the drop-down menu titled Post To and select the appropriate course(s).
- Attach a File, if desired.
- Click the Checkbox next to each of the Options you would like to apply to this discussion:
- Click Allow Threaded Replies to allow students to create a series of replies under another student’s discussion post.
- Click Users Must Post before Seeing Replies to require students to post prior to being able to read classmates’ posts.
- Click Enable Podcast Feed to allow students to subscribe and listen to the media posts within a discussion from an external podcasting service. You will need to upload media to the Rich Content Editor for updates to be added to the podcast feed.
- Click Graded to enable SpeedGrader for this discussion. For more information, refer to the “Grade Discussions in Canvas” tutorial.
- Click Allow Liking to allow students to “like” other students’ discussion posts.
- Click Add to Student To-do to add an ungraded discussion to a student’s to-do list within Canvas.
- Click This Is a Group Discussion to assign the discussion to new/existing groups. For more information, visit the “Set Up Small Group Discussions” tutorial.
- Click Save.
- Note: Once you have saved the discussion, you may click the Subscribe button on the right to enable/disable notifications.