Last updated on April 21, 2023
Students benefit from opportunities to demonstrate mastery of your course’s content in a variety of mediums. Multimedia submissions are a fantastic way to offer learners the means to do this in a dynamic and personalized way. The Canvas Audio/Video Recorder is a tool students can use to record themselves in order to submit an assignment. It is built into the Rich Content Editor and can also be used as a “Submission Type” in assignments.
The Canvas audio/video recorder is best used for simple audio/video recordings that only you will see, such as a speech, demonstration, or presentation. This is because the Canvas Audio/Video Recorder does not caption audio and is not accessible to those with auditory impairments, so it shouldn’t be used in discussions. Consider using GoReact for recorded discussions between students. If you as an instructor require captions, you should consider requiring GoReact submissions, as it captions audio and is accessible.
Use the Canvas Audio/Video Recorder as a “Submission Type”
- Go to MSU Denver’s Faculty and Staff Hub.
- Click Canvas in the Teaching & Learning section.
- Log in to your Canvas Account.
- Select the Course you’d like to work in.
- Click Assignments in the course navigation menu to the left.
- Click + Assignment in the top right-hand corner.
- Scroll down to the Submission Type menu, below the main text box.
- Click the Drop-Down Menu to the right of Submission Type.
- Select Online from the drop-down menu.
- Check the box next to Media Recordings from the Online Entry Options menu.
- Note: You can also select any of the other Online Entry Options that you want available for students, such as Text Entry or File Upload. You should check that any unwanted options are not selected.
- Enter any Other Details for your Assignment as you normally would, like the Title and Point Value.
- Scroll down to the Bottom of the page
- Click Save.